On Tuesday, April 18, the Department of Orthopaedic Sugery at Duke hosted its first Departmental Research Day. Highlights from the day included:
- Chief residents (pictured below from left to right, top to bottom), Daniel J. Blizzard, MD, MS; Vasili Karas, MD; Mitchell R. Klement, MD; Daniel S. Mangiapani, MD; Patrick D. Millikan, MD; Brian T. Nickel, MD; Julia D. Visguass, MD; and Michael P. Morwood, MD, presented their Chief Research Projects
- Faculty (pictured from left to right, top to bottom), Gurpreet Baht, PhD; Adam Goode, DPT, PhD; Courtney Karner, PhD; Colleen Wu, PhD; Jonathan Riboh, MD; and Tim Sell, PhD, PT, gave lectures on their research
- A multidisciplinary group of faculty (pictured from left to right, top to bottom) including Kim Huffman, MD, PhD, MHSc (Department of Medicine, Division of Rheumatology); Nenad Bursac, PhD (Biomedical Engineering, Medicine, Duke Cancer Institute); Louis E. DeFrate, PhD (Orthopaedics, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering); and William E. Garrett Jr., MD, PhD (Orthopaedics), presented during the "Muscle Matters Symposium"
- The "Master Orthopaedist Awards" were presented to:
Pictured left, James R. Urbaniak, MD, Virginia Flowers Baker Professor and Chief Emeritus of Orthopaedic Surgery. Read more about Dr. Urbaniak here.
Pictured right, Ralph W. Coonrad, MD. Dr. Coonrad practiced Pediatric Orthopaedics in Durham and at Duke University Medical Center for 41 years. He served as Medical Director of Lenox Baker Children's Hospital from 1970-1989. He continues to serve on the Lenox Baker Foundation Board, which provides financial support for the Pediatric Visiting Professorship. He remains active in resident education and as an advisor to the faculty.
- Two poster sessions were conducted, with 30 total posters presented by students, residents, fellows, and faculty
- Of these posters, there were three Michael Philip Jagger Research Awards presented for "Best Poster" to (pictured left to right):
- Jason Long - Graduate Student Award
- Yinshi Ren - Postdoctoral Student Award
- Lindsay Kleeman, MD - Resident Award