The Spine Division is currently led by William J. Richardson (pictured left). Duke Spine Center specialists in Raleigh and Durham offer comprehensive therapy options and advanced surgeries to help you lead a healthy, pain-free life. We know through experience from treating high volumes of patients that personalized treatment plans yield the best results for spine care. We take into account your lifestyle and health needs and recommend a comprehensive plan for your spine care that may include the latest in medications and injections, physical therapy, and pain management. If you require surgery, we offer one of the most experienced surgical teams in the state.
We perform the full range of spine surgery options, from disc replacement to relieve pain and swelling, to complex reconstructive surgeries for scoliosis, and procedures to remove delicate spinal cancer lesions. Whenever possible, our team uses minimally invasive techniques so you recover faster and experience less pain and fewer complications. Our advanced experience comes from the high volume of patients we see; our team performs more than 1,200 spine surgeries every year.
As members of prestigious organizations such as the Scoliosis Research Society, North American Spine Society, and Cervical Spine Research Society, our board-certified spine specialists are up to date on the latest technologies and advances in the treatment of conditions related to your spine, back and neck. Our research includes: spine pathology and responses to different operative treatments, studying methods to improve the safety of complex spinal procedures, including the monitoring of the spinal cord function, and also the process of clotting of blood during the procedure, and the effects of a pre-habilitation protocol (rehab prior to surgery) on clinical outcomes and perioperative morbidity.
We use the most advanced technology and techniques available today for safe, effective results that reduce complications to your crucial but delicate spine and spinal cord. Our operating rooms feature intraoperative imaging equipment that gives our surgeons real-time, 3-D pictures and video, and offer guidance as they operate. We also use minimally invasive surgical techniques whenever possible, so you benefit from faster recoveries, fewer complications, and less pain.
We bring together a complete team of experts. Together, they have expertise in nearly every aspect of spine care treatment, recovery, and rehabilitation. Our team includes experts in neurosurgery and orthopaedic surgery, as well as radiosurgery specialists, physiatrists, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, and nurses. We also offer acupuncturists, pain management experts, physical therapists, and a psychologist who specializes in traumatic spinal injury patients.
- Our unparalleled experience enables our surgeons to treat some of the most complex cases
- We are committed to training future generations of orthopedic surgeons
Our patients benefit from our experience treating the most complex cases, including:
- Chronic Back Pain: Duke Spine Center pain experts in Raleigh and Durham use the most advanced techniques and tools to treat people with chronic back and leg pain, failed back surgery syndrome and neuropathic pain that may not respond to other treatments. We work with you to ensure you don’t live with debilitating back pain.
- Degenerative Disc Disease: Duke Spine Center makes a pain-free life possible with comprehensive medical and neurosurgery options for degenerative disc disease. Our surgical team in Raleigh and Durham treats all forms of degenerative disc disease, including herniated discs and ruptured discs. Many people with degenerative disc disease will also develop spine arthritis, including spondylosis, spondylolisthesis and ankylosing spondylitis. Whenever possible, our goal is to avoid your need for surgery.
- Pediatric Orthopaedics: For children from birth to early adulthood, the pediatric orthopaedic physicians and specialists at Duke Children’s Hospital & Health Center provide the highest quality treatment and care for a broad spectrum of congenital, developmental and traumatic disorders affecting bones, soft tissues, joints and the neuromuscular system. We provide surgical and non-surgical treatment for conditions such as scoliosis, club foot, leg length differences, orthopaedic tumors, fractures and cerebral palsy. We also provide a multidisciplinary approach for the treatment and prevention of sports injuries.
- Scoliosis: Duke's pediatric scoliosis and neurosurgery specialists treat spinal curvature disorders in children and teens including scoliosis, kyphosis, spondylolysis, and spondylolisthesis. We offer advanced non surgical options such as bracing, as well as growth friendly spinal surgery. We tailor our treatment recommendations to your child's unique anatomy and health needs.
- Spinal Curvature Disorders: Specialists at Duke Spine Center in Raleigh and Durham treat spinal curvature disorders that impact your daily living. When the spine curves abnormally, it can result in a range of discomfort, from mild to debilitating. We offer an array of non surgical therapies, minimally invasive procedures and surgical options, including complex reconstructive surgery. We tailor our treatment recommendations to your symptoms and health needs so you can return to enjoying your normal activities.
- Spinal Stenosis and Myelopathy: Duke's expert spine specialists in Raleigh and Durham achieve excellent outcomes for the slow, progressive narrowing of the spine known as spinal stenosis, and compression of the spinal cord, referred to as myelopathy. Whenever possible, our goal is to avoid your need for surgery. However, when surgery is necessary, our spine surgeons specialize in procedures that minimize the pain and problems associated with spinal stenosis and myelopathy. We work with you to regain your normal function as quickly as possible.
- Spine Cancer: Duke's spine and cancer experts work together to find the best strategy to treat your tumor and speed up your recovery. We treat the full range of spine cancers, including chordoma, primary and metastatic spinal column tumors, and spinal cord tumors.
- Spine Fracture: Duke spine surgeons in Raleigh and Durham use the latest advances and technology to repair spine fractures, or a broken back, caused by injury or chronic conditions such as spinal arthritis. Our surgical team is one of the busiest in North Carolina; we perform more than 1,200 minimally invasive procedures and complex reconstructive surgeries every year. Our goal is to avoid serious complications that can result from spine fractures or a broken back, eliminate your pain, and improve your quality of life.
When you come to us for spine treatment, you receive care from nationally recognized medical professionals who are committed to your complete recovery. Duke is consistently ranked as one of the top orthopaedic programs in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
We invite you to learn more about our program by visiting: https://www.dukemedicine.org/treatments/orthopaedics
Ready for an appointment? Call today at: 855-855-6484